Tis the season! The CrossFit Open starts on FEBRUARY 23rd! If you don’t know what the Open is, it is the pre-cursor to the Reebok CrossFit Games. And yes, we are hoping for 100% participation!
Wait? What? You want us ALL to do it? YES! Many of you may think “Why bother? I’m not here to compete. I’m surely not going to win anything or go to the CrossFit Games.” To that our response would be… “you’ve completely missed the point of the Open”.
The Open is a galvanizing event for ALL CrossFitters, but especially for us here at the Cove. For five weeks and for five workouts, any and every athlete in the world has the opportunity to participate in an event that is the qualifier for Regionals (and then the CrossFit Games) called the CrossFit Open. It’s not about getting you to the Games, it is about creating an even greater sense of community with CrossFitters around the world… but especially here at this box.
Every Friday night (the workouts are released Thursday evenings) we all get together for a “Friday Night Lights” style WOD. We cheer each other on, we act as judges (counting reps and checking movement standards) for each other so we can submit official scores but most of all… we have a BLAST. But don’t worry if you can’t make it here on Friday nights; during the Open every Friday WOD will be the Open Workout for that week (partner WODS go on hold for those weeks). Trust us, those five weeks are some of the best ever here at the Cove.
Here’s why you MUST SIGN UP NOW!:
Top Ten Reasons to Do the CrossFit Open
1. There will be lots of “firsts” here at the Cove. It may be your first time doing a competition or getting judged on your reps; or maybe you lift something or do a movement you didn’t think possible for the first time. Anything is possible at the Open.
2. You push hard in your workouts but it’s nothing like an Open workout with everyone around you cheering. The energy is electric.
3. The Open is a world-wide competition. It’s something you can share with your friends and family that compete at another box and you can see how you stack up to the WORLD, not just our WhiteBoard.
4. It’s a chance for you to meet the rest of the gym. Who are those crazy people that wake up for the 5:30 AM class? What about the nooners and guy or gal you always chase on the WhiteBoard.
5. There is a scaled division, you don’t don’t need to be “elite” to participate. You can do it even if you are just starting in the CrossFit world.
6. Trash talk -it’s not just for basketball (says Coach Brian).
7. You will learn what you are good at and bad at – you might struggle with Workout 1 with deadlifts but kill Workout 2 with burpees. Who knew you were a ninja at burpees!?
8. It will challenge you and challenges are good.
9. When you watch/judge another member you will learn more than you thought about what good movement looks like.
10. You will be inspired by others and you might inspire someone else.
Just so everyone is aware, there is a $20 charge for doing the Open that goes to CrossFit HQ. It’s annoying but well worth it. Every bit of global data is tracked and you can sort your scores with a variety of filters. It’s ADDICTING! Again, we are aiming for 100 percent participation for this event. The more people involved the greater the experience is!