For over 90 athletes, it’s the moment we’ve been waiting for! As a reminder we will be doing the Open WOD for all classes tomorrow, so even if you haven’t signed up, you’ll have a taste of what athletes around the world will be tackling! Just to put some things in perspective for you:
1. We have 90 (and counting!) Cove athletes doing Open this year (vs. 60 last year)
2. Of all the area CrossFit boxes, we have the most athletes signed up for the Open (and this includes 12 Labours which has three locations and a team that came in 2nd in the world)!
3. We have athletes in every age group and spanning a WIDE variety of CrossFit experience (with many doing CrossFit for less than three months!)
This will be an exciting five weeks for each and every one of you and we are so excited to see what challenges you overcome and breakthroughs you make. And we promise, if nothing else, it will be FUN!
WHAT IF I’M NOT DOING THE OPEN OR I’M NOT DOING THE WOD FRIDAY NIGHT? CAN I STILL COME TO THE EVENT? Even if you are not competing in the Open or if you did the workout earlier that day (or if it is your rest day) please come! It is such a fun night and you’ll get to meet so many people that make up this wacky and wonderful box. Per usual, please bring any beer and snacks you will need to refuel post-WOD. Remember this is a pot-luck style Open celebration!
- Perform the workout and enter a score between 8p Thursday and Monday at 8P EST. If for some reason you can not get the workout in (travel,life,etc) just submit a score of zero. (25 total points possible)
- Best Selfie Submitted (weekly) (5 Points)
- Spirit of the Open (weekly) (5 points)
- Best team name (yes, we expect you to come up with something more creative than what’s above!
- Best social media presence
The “Dirty Thirties” (30-34)
The “I cant’ believe I’ll be 40 soon” team (35 – 39)
Workout 17.1 For time: 10 dumbbell snatches 15 burpee box jump-overs 20 dumbbell snatches 15 burpee box jump-overs 30 dumbbell snatches 15 burpee box jump-overs 40 dumbbell snatches 15 burpee box jump-overs 50 dumbbell snatches 15 burpee box jump-overs
Men use 50-lb. dumbbell and 24-in. box.
Women use 35-lb. dumbbell and a 20″ box.
Time cap: 20 minutes
Coach’s Tip: This workout is ALL ABOUT PACING! Keep a steady pace on all moments and breath evenly throughout. On the dumbbell, please keep your shoulders above your hips as it will be torture on your back if you put too much stress on it. This is a LOT of reps! Consider stepping in for the burpees to get to the box to save energy.
Rx’d: (Ages 16-54) Men use 50-lb. dumbbell and 24-in. box Women use 35-lb. dumbbell and 20-in. box
Boys use 35-lb. dumbbell and 24-in. box Girls use 20-lb. dumbbell and 20-in. box
Men use 35-lb. dumbbell and 24-in. box, step-ups OK Women use 20-lb. dumbbell and 20-in. box, step-ups OK
The dumbbell snatch starts with the dumbbell on the ground and finishes with the dumbbell directly overhead. At the bottom of the movement, BOTH heads of the dumbbell must touch the ground. The dumbbell must be lifted overhead in one motion. Touch-and-go is permitted. Bouncing the dumbbell is not allowed. Athletes must alternate arms after each repetition and may not alternate until a successful rep is achieved. The non-lifting hand and arm may not be in contact with the body during the repetition.
Scaled: (Ages 16-54) Men use 35-lb. dumbbell and 20-in. box, step-ups OK Women use 20-lb. dumbbell and 20-in. box, step-ups OK
Scaled Teenagers 14-15:
Boys use 20-lb. dumbbell and 24-in. box, step-ups OK Girls use 10-lb. dumbbell and 20-in. box, step-ups OK
Scaled Masters 55+:
Men use 20-lb. dumbbell and 20-in. box, step-ups OK Women use 10-lb. dumbbell and 20-in. box, step-ups OK