Today we will be doing our first”girl” workout 1/2 Cindy. A “girl” workout is a benchmark workouts that CrossFit athletes use to test their fitness.
Why are they named after women? Here is what Coach Glassman, the founder of CrossFit had to say, “I want to explain the workout once and then give it a name. I thought that anything that left you flat on your back, looking up at the sky asking ‘what just happened to me?’ deserved a females name. Workouts are just like storms, they wreak havoc on towns.”
Top Ten Reasons to Do the CrossFit Open
1.There will be lots of firsts here at the Cove. Don’t you want to be part of our first CrossFit open?
2. You push hard in your workouts but it’s nothing like an open workout with everyone around you.
3. The open is a world wide competition. It’s something you can share with your friends and family that compete at another box.
4.It’s a chance for you to meet the rest of the gym. Who are those crazy people that wake up for the 5:30 AM class? What about the nooners and the afternoon crew that always takes the top spot.
5. The scaled division. This year a scaled division was added if you are just starting in the CrossFit world.
6. Trash talk -it’s not just for basketball.
7. You will learn what you are good at and bad at – you might struggle with workout 1 with deadlifts but kill workout 2 with burpees. Who knew you were a ninja at burpees!
8.It will challenge you and challenges are good.
9. When you watch/judge another member you will learn more than you thought about what good movement looks like
10. You will be inspired by others and you might inspire someone else
BONUS: Masters division! I have never been so happy to be “old”
Just so everyone is aware, there is a $20 charge for doing the open that goes to CrossFit HQ. It’s annoying but well worth it. We are aiming for 100 percent participation for this event. The more people involved the greater the experience is
Sign up at games.crossfit.com
(same weight across, go heavier then last Friday)
5 Pull ups
10 Push ups
15 Air Squats
Elliott is excited to do 1/2 Cindy tomorrow